Friday, August 15, 2008

Soy de Hawai'i.

Aloha!

Half a year ago, my cousin Jason suggested I start a blog instead of sending mass emails. I guess that was me half a year ago, who didn't see the true value of communication. After this summer, I've realized how much of my life is really one foot planted on the mainland and one foot on this wonderful island of Hawai'i.

I don't think my life is special to be worthy of a blog. I just wish more people would blog- and truly reflect. It is so easy for us to fall into the traps of Facebook, Myspace, and other online communities that only encourage the explosion of our egos in gossip and trivial conversation. (I am proud to say that, as of today, I am 17 days sober from Facebook.) It really can be an addiction.

Two weeks ago, I started my second year of teaching. Ever. The first year left me occassionally crying on the beach at night, missing home and cursing the 6-hour time difference. (It was almost like I was reliving my parents' immigrant realities back in the 80's, where Taiwan is a complete day ahead of the US time zone.) I had applied for Teach for America late September of my senior year at UM. By November, I knew I was going to Hawai'i. For a senior, that meant job security and the ability to actually answer the daily question of "So what now?" But I was not ready to be here until I left here this summer on the mainland. The whole first year I had been wishing I was back at UM and in Miami; but when I finally did go back, I realized that there was nothing there for me but good memories. As usual, my decision preceded my logic.

This second year has been amazing. I am teaching all Algebra sections, still on the military base in Wahiawa. I have more free time because I am not frantically planning for a class I've never taught before. I can listen to my kids' stories in the morning, because I am not running in and out making photocopies of a worksheet I made 5 seconds ago. (PS- I have a future WNBA basketball star in my room. Serious.) The biggest responsibility I have now is being the 8th grade Grade Level Chair. But honestly, the leadership days from UM are long over. I know I can be all that when the time comes, but now is MY time.

Oh, and did I mention I am not on Facebook and don't have cable TV? That definitely leaves more time to read the news, do yoga, dance the hula, plant my garden, and play in the "Club House." (See pictures below.) And I live with 3 BOYS. It has been an interesting but delightful adjustment from living with 2 girls.

This year, I can finally say that I am from Waialua, not a visitor from Miami.

@LOH@













Me, Greg, and Kyle @ Bon Festival (Haleiwa)












The
"Newspaper"














Our "Club House" painted in Lime Freeze



First watermelon sprout in the garden!

4 comments:

Jason Liu said...

very nice, even though you didn't blog I still read all your emails ;-)

Unknown said...

lovin' the club house. i want one in my terrace.

Lil' Miss Loud Mouth said...

I agree that the club house pretty much rocks. =) Glad to see you joined the blogging movement- I'll promote it on my site that like 2 people read . Hopefully you'll have more success than I!

Much love from the mainland,
T

Adam said...

nice... glad to see this. i actually stumbled upon some old emails of yours today at a miami email address that i don't often check..

so now, i will keep up with you and you've encouraged me to start my own cell phone photos blog.

miss you!